Sunday, December 11, 2011

On Missions- 5 am style

Now, its just way too late.  I've been hashing out some writing for Social Witness, responding to a ministry scenario and describing just about every detail of how I would set up a ministry in this situation.  I've been blessed to get to know a beautiful freshman girl Sam through Hope for the Nations this year whose sister Sophie is a missionary in Zambia right now.  In not really wanting to think about this assignment anymore, I found her blog.  A girl a few years older than myself, Hope grad, being a real life missionary in another country.  In the first picture, I saw the resemblance to Sam right away.  I've heard about this girl since last year, and I hear stories from Sam sometimes.  I could not stop reading.  Sophie was recently called to adopt a baby girl named Natasha, and she shares beautiful stories of being called "mommy" and the recent challenge of not being able to return to the US to raise funds.  All I could keep thinking while reading the blog was, "she's really, truly, a Christ follower."
This is what I want for my life.  I want to be a Christ follower.  This is my call.  To go live and serve somewhere in the world.  To care for those who cannot care for myself.  I admire Sophie for following where God has called her to.  Most people would think its crazy for a single young woman just out of college to adopt a baby girl who she can't even bring home to America right now, but that's what the Lord called her to do, and that's what she did.  You need only to read a single post to see how God is working in and through this adoption, and to see the love that Sophie has for her baby girl.  It's now officially 5 in the morning, and I've been designing a ministry for the last 5 hours and reading about a real life missionary and I'm thinking about what this really. really. really. might mean.  Giving it all up to gain so much more.  It's completely terrifying and even more exciting and the only thing to do is trust God in it, His stories are better than any that humans write.

No comments:

Post a Comment