Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Past Few Weeks

So I've been home from Kenya for about 2 weeks now.  It feels like a lifetime since I was there.  I loved Kenya.  But I must say, I am so glad to be home.  I've had some really, really awesome time with the people I don't really get to see that often.  I love the moments (there have been many!) when I have to blink and go, wow, that person really is in the same room as me.  We really are sitting right here.  I am so blessed.
This past so weekend, one of my dearest friends got married.  Allie and I are neighbors, I have known her since I was eight years old.  I learned what makes faith real at her house, through the Pioneer Girls Club her mom ran, but really from the example she and the other girls set about LIVING the Christian faith in all parts of life.  In the same house, I had an awesome Bible study in high school.  Countless trips to school, walks around the circle, coffee dates, and other random adventures later, she's married to the man God planned for her.  One of the best parts of being neighbors is I can be at her house in around 30 seconds, which meant helping with lots of fun wedding details :)  It takes a community to throw a wedding!
So many people have come back into town that I haven't seen in years.  As some friends and I talked at the end of last night, we tried to define the strange sadness we were feeling, even in spite of such joy and happiness for our dear friend.  I don't want to grow up!  I mean, I wouldn't mind getting married if the time rolls around soon, but its strange that one of the lovely ladies who has been a part of my life since childhood is now in a new season, one that's very different from the times we had together.  Of course, I know I'll see Als again at Christmas, she's not leaving forever, she just has Chris with her now too :)  As I think back to the evening that was just about perfect, even though it rained, dancing and laughing with old friends, seeing a woman of the Lord receive everything she deserves in a husband, its one of those where the moments seem frozen in time.  Not every day of life is as happy as a wedding day, but we can strive to find joy in our everyday lives.  For one day, the seasons we are in now will be past by too.
To the sister who has always been a role model to me, thanks for the beautiful example of marrying the one who loves God and you for who He has made you to be.  Thanks for being there.  Thanks for being you.  And I hope my wedding is even half as awesome as yours :)  To God be the glory.

"As the years go by, like stones under the rushing water, we only know, we only know when its gone." -Needtobreathe

No comments:

Post a Comment