Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Finding Home in the crazy places

9 days.  That's all I have.  Then I'll move out of Dykstra Hall for the last time.  Its crazy, but even after two years, I'm going to miss it.  Even after being an RA and one of the only sophomores in the infamous all freshmen girls dorm, I'm sad to leave.  This place holds a piece for my heart.  It holds my own freshman year, snug and cozy in my little cluster home, life chats with the roommate watching feet of snow fall outside, the insane moving to college emotional rollercoaster, so much growing up.  It holds a new adventure, in loving 22 awesome freshman ladies and watching them grow from wide eyed newbies to awesome friends, in a beautiful sisterhood in my staff, in the crazy moments that comes with being an RA, in the moments where all I can do is laugh.  I've never (will never) live in a dorm with normal hallways or with guys down the hall.  My heart is here, for these girls, for the craziness this unique set up brings, the life season that freshman year is.  We had our last staff meeting tonight, with a wonderful encouragement activity, gag gifts appropriate to our year, and a wooden shoe with my name on it.  We laughed until we cried, we cried until we laughed.  I'm going to miss those girls to pieces.  We shared a very unique with job, and those girls have been the ones who have supported me unconditionally through this year, because they're the ones who really get what this job is.  I had my last night of duty, hanging out in our high quality pea soup colored duty box, watching Friends in the lobby, doing rounds.  I walked through the dorms when I visited junior year, and I automatically knew that this was where I wanted to live, passing up the chance to live in the "intentionally diverse" community which would have tied in well with my global interests.  I have met so many amazing women here, and had the privilege to live in a unique, crazy, loving, community.  God brought me here, and I am so thankful for both the great freshman living situation I had and the blessing it has been to love and serve my residents and my staff.  A big, white cinder block, stereotypically dorm has become home.  I've learned to make home in the crazy places, my home is in Christ, and I know that I will be able to find home wherever I go.

1 comment:

  1. I can really see your heart for the girls and what you do in this post :o) I love how genuine you are Karen!

    ps. I didn't know you had a blog!?

    -Lauren Veltkamp

    ReplyDelete